Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Getaway

I applaud myself for peeling away for a few days. We stayed with K's best friend in this beautiful country home for the weekend, and I couldn't be happier about it. I'm convinced there is not a better place to go to get away from the nasties. When I say "nasties", I mean: Work, City Life, Gross Air, Technology, and lack of nature. K calls his time away the "Re-acclimation". I couldn't agree more.


 
 
Enjoy the music, the pictures and the recipe. Especially the recipe. It's the best I've ever had.
 

 
The scenery from this huge bath-tub? A cow pasture. :)

The weather was perfect the whole time we were there. The days were sunny and breezy and the nights had a little chill. Saturday night I whipped up some homemade hot eggnog.

My Homemade Spiced (and Spiked) Hot Eggnog

2 cups half & half
1 cup whole milk
4 large (fresh) eggs
1/2 cup good quality sugar
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 tsp nutmeg
dash cinammon
dash ground cloves

Let the eggs sit out until about room temperature.Warm the half & half, milk, and sugar over medium heat, stirring periodically, until it starts to froth. Meanwhile, in a blender, whip the eggs on high until they become a creamy yellow. Remove the milk from heat and put a lid on it. With the blender running on low, slowly pour the milk mixture through the lid into the eggs. You want to use the lid so that it just slowly drips in. Once about half of the milk mixture has been added, you can pour the rest in a little faster. Add your spices and vanilla and puree until evenly mixed. You can add a little bourbon to it if you want it spiked. It's really good either way. If you have leftovers, make sure you refrigerate it promptly. It makes a really good cold eggnog also.
Serves about 6


On Sunday, we went down to Lacassine National Wildlife Refuge. Since it was one of our warmest days in months, the alligators were out sunning. Everywhere. I've never seen so many alligators in my life. There were varieties of ducks  and water birds too. It was a beautiful drive through farm lands to and from the refuge.





There are few better things in life than beautiful places, good food, and friends.


"When we return to the root, we gain the meaning"
-Hsin-Hsin Ming

Click below for more pictures >>>


Kittens like Sacks of Crawfish....




Did you know that baby owls hiss and snap their beaks to make a cracking noise? They also have really strange eye lids.... I'm just sayin'....




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'm totally jealous! & that bath tub... ugh, to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I do not favor the nog, but I love a good bath tub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I love that recipe for eggnog. I've not had it warm before, well, except for a Starbucks eggnog latte. :) We are having a cold morning here today. I would love a mug of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a bathtub like that!! Looks like you had a really nice weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin