Saturday, March 20, 2010

Not for the lazy

Believe it or not, sometimes sleepiness is not necessarily a symptom of something that we need to run out and have checked. Sometimes, it's just a good reason to curl up on your couch and relax. Pretend that you have nothing else important to do, and just nap. This is not something that I find diffucult...or ever have for that matter. I used to come home from high school and nap on the regular. Even as I got older and had a full time job during college, I almost always found time for a nap. I'm nearly a professional...and not lazy at all. Naps are actually quite smart (yes, I'm patting my own back).
 Napping has been shown to reduce stress and the risk of heart attack. It also helps keep you sharp and alert. This Boston Globe article (How to Nap), shows that research on pilots proves that a nap can increase performance by 34% and alertness by 54%.  Besides that, researchers are beginning to see that naps can also help:
- Prevent Depression
- Boost Mood
-Improve Memory
-Maintain a Healthy Weight
-Lower the risk of Diabetes
and more...

If you're like most people and you don't get 8 hours of sleep a night, a nap might be essential for you. Research shows that even a short nap is better than no nap at all, but 30 minutes is ideal. One of my favorite tricks to use, so I don't get groggy: have a small bit of caffeine before you nap. It will take about thirty minutes to kick in, so you won't oversleep or wake up groggy and cranky.

Read How to Nap for your keys to napping success.
I'm off to snuggle up on my couch and you should too. Don't forget to set your alarm.



Sweet Dreams

6 comments:

  1. hmmm. I want to nap! I might do that now!
    I'm following your blog!!

    ps-I'm having a giveaway - check it out @ sarahannrogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe! I didn't need any other reason to nap, but winner winner!! :) Thanks for the (unneeded, but appreciated) information! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely agree with you! sleeping and napping is the best way to reduce stress and get better (at least it works in my case!).
    have a great sunday,
    justyna

    ReplyDelete
  4. A post about napping...

    God bless you, child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been a napper! My Hub? Napping right now. Our son? Napping right now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psshh, you guys are missing out. I'm going to nap right now!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin